Main Article Content
In this paper, the ANN model is applied to forecast the number of new HIV infections in pregnant women at Gweru District Hospital (GDH). The data employed in this research is taken from the GDH Health Information Department and ranges over the period January 2020 to December 2019. The out-of-sample forecasts will cover the period January 2020 to December 2021. The applied ANN (12, 12, 1) model is adequate as shown by its residuals and minimum forecast evaluation statistics. The results of the study basically reveal that new HIV infections in pregnant women will most likely decline over the period January 2020 to December 2021. This could be a positive towards an HIV/AIDS-free Zimbabwe. Therefore, in order to facilitate the realization of such projections, GDH has a role to play with regards to the following recommendations: [i] GDH should engage in community-based pre-pregnancy assessment and advice campaigns for all known HIV positive women who are of child-bearing age. In this regard, issues such as optimization of HIV treatment, safety of any treatment in pregnancy, model of birth as well as breastfeeding should be discussed. [ii] GDH should offer antenatal screening for HIV for all pregnant women in the first trimester bloods or when they present/book. [iii] GDH ought to engage in more HIV/AIDS awareness programmes, with special emphasis on HIV in pregnant women.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 DEED).
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit , provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made . You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes .
- NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation .
No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Rights of Authors
Authors retain the following rights:
1. Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
2. the right to use the substance of the article in future works, including lectures and books,
3. the right to reproduce the article for own purposes, provided the copies are not offered for sale,
4. the right to self-archive the article.